top of page

Never Keep These Food Items in the Fridge to Prevent Diseases: A Tale of Mold Trap

My Experience with Mold in a New Environment

When I moved to my new workplace in a lush, green township in South India, I was not prepared for the impact the environment would have on my health.

The area is beautiful, with plenty of rain, but soon after arriving, I noticed a significant decline in my immunity. I experienced allergies, dysentery, headaches, and ultimately needed a CT scan to diagnose pollen allergies. I was prescribed antibiotics and a host of other medications to manage my symptoms.


"As a nutritionist and psychologist, I initially thought that the stress of being in a new place and other personal reasons were causing my allergies, but then I considered my expertise in nutrition and realized it could be related to mold exposure.


One of the most surprising discoveries here was how quickly food items caught mold. Even foods that I had never seen moldy before.

I started researching and finding were shocking.

For instance, peeled garlic and ginger kept in the fridge would mold almost immediately after taking out from fridge.

Note: Garlic mold cause cancer.

Rice kept in fridge should not be eaten with microwave heating. It must cook again and only once. Although nowadays to reduce glycemic index of rice it is diabetic people's practice of eating overnight left rice that is unsafe.

This led me to question the common practice of refrigerating these items.


The Science Behind Mold and Health Issues

Mold can have serious health implications, particularly for those with weakened immune systems. Individuals living or working in moldy environments often report a variety of health issues, including pain, fatigue, increased anxiety, depression, and cognitive deficits. These symptoms can be difficult to attribute directly to mold exposure, as they mimic those caused by bacterial or viral infections.

Research has shown that mold exposure can activate the innate immune system in a way that affects brain function. In studies, mice exposed to both toxic and non-toxic mold spores exhibited increased levels of interleukin-1β, an inflammatory marker, in the hippocampus, the brain region associated with memory and learning. This immune activation led to decreased neurogenesis (the formation of new neurons), memory deficits, and increased anxiety-like behavior. These findings suggest that both toxic and non-toxic mold elements can cause significant cognitive and emotional dysfunction.

Certain food items are particularly prone to mold growth when stored in the fridge:

1. Peeled Garlic: Peeled garlic stored in the fridge can mold quickly. It's better to keep it in a cool, dry place.

2. Ginger: Similar to garlic, ginger can mold fast after taking out from the fridge. Store it in a dry, ventilated area.

3. Onions: Onions we generally dont keep in fridge but on safer side it should be kept in a cool, dry place rather than the fridge,

4. Cooked Rice: Cooked rice, when stored in the fridge, should be thoroughly heated before consumption. The starch in rice can promote mold growth if not handled properly.

Practical Tips to Avoid Mold Growth

1. Proper Storage: Keep items like garlic, ginger, and onions in cool, dry places instead of the fridge.

2. Humidity Control: Use dehumidifiers in kitchens to reduce moisture levels.

3. Regular Cleaning: Clean the fridge regularly to prevent mold buildup.

4. Timely Consumption: Consume perishable items quickly and avoid long storage periods.

Conclusion

Living in a humid environment can pose unique challenges, especially when it comes to food storage. Mold can grow rapidly on common food items, leading to health issues and reducing food safety. Understanding which foods are prone to mold and how to store them properly can help mitigate these risks. By taking these precautions, you can protect your health and maintain a safe, mold-free kitchen environment. Stay Healthy, Stay Happy!

49 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page